Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Hiya, this blog is going to be a bit shorter than the others seeing as I went into the city today to meet up my friends from school (hmm what mystery city am I talking about?) I am so exhausted I swear if i put up the unedited version of this there would be so many spelling errors that would make no sense at all, it would just be gibberish. I am so tired my eyes sting. You know when that happens? When you are so drained and tired that your eyes literally start to sting and burn. I think it's out body's way of saying GET SOME REST! So that is exactly what I will be doing very very shortly.

After being in the city all day with my friends from school I really appreciated having them in my life. I mean, when else would I ever have an excuse to randomly go to the city and spend money without feeling to terribly guilty (though in the recession i feel like it's impossible to feel completely guilt free) and when else would I be able to forget everything and just enjoy myself. I was having such a great day and then it was brought down momentarily when I received a rude text from a friend at home. At first when I got the text I was hurt and upset (the actual content of the text isn't really important, it's more of the fact that she sent it to me at all) but then I became angry and annoyed. I have had on and of problems with her for twelve years and all of those twelve years she made me feel like it all was my fault, and I believed it, I really thought it was all my fault. But after going to school and meeting new people and joining a sorority (fun fact) I got to experience what it felt like to have friends who had my back no matter what, who would never hurt me intentionally, and who would never make me feel like something was my fault just so they wouldn't have to deal with the consequences of their actions or just so they could have someone to blame.

So I sat in the city, surrounded by my best friends and stood my ground, told my other friend how I felt about her rude text and you know what happened? She responded, and I don't know if I made her feel guilty, but she apologized...sort of, she has an odd way of apologizing but I know how she does it and that is exactly what I saw in her text. But now I know, I know where real friendship lies, I know who I can go to with out worrying about what they're going to think of me or if they can keep it a secret, or if they'll just listen to what I have to say. All of those things are things that I have had to worry about for so long, but not any more. I've begun to find myself, and even though I still have only touched the tip of the iceberg (and this blog has already helped me) I have a lot more to figure out. But I'm stronger, I am standing my ground and that is something that I have never been able to do. I think it's the combination of being away at college and having to do things on my own and having to eliminate all vulnerability (of course, there is always still some there).

"Without friends no one would choose to live, though he had all other goods."
- Artistotle



They keep me pieced together when I'm falling apart and I owe everything to them. Make sure, no matter where you are in life, that you cherish your friends. I certainly don't know how long I'll be lucky enough to have them in my life but however long I am given I plan on making the most out of it. So please, if there is someone who cares about you and has laughed with you and cried with you and told you things that no one else would then appreciate them. Appreciate every moment of laughter and tears, because those moments are the ones that shape us.

Until next time...it's all Hidden Secrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment